One central aim of a functioning national human rights system is to coordinate national data collection on the monitoring and implementation of recommendations from the international human rights system.
As states are struggling with an increasing burden related to the monitoring, implementation and follow-up of recommendations – from UN treaty bodies, special procedures and the Universal review Process – while also monitoring progress on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a series of new online databases precisely aim at facilitating a more holistic approach at coordinating the efforts of all relevant national human rights actors.
This online Human Rights Conversation will discuss the value of these tools, focusing on their specificities and highlighting common strengths and weaknesses towards a most efficient tracking of national human rights standards and policies.
Panelists will notably consider specific digital human rights tracking tools developed by different stakeholders and will address some of their benefits, including:
- Tracking and thematically clustering recommendations and decisions by the international and regional human rights mechanisms
- Linking specific recommendations to the SDGs
- Identifying responsible government ministries and/or agencies for implementation
- Developing follow-up plans, including timelines with all relevant domestic actors, to facilitate coordinated monitoring of implementation
- Managing information regarding the implementation of treaty provisions and recommendations.
- Domenico Zipoli, Research Fellow, Geneva Human Rights Platform
- Camilla Alonzo, Principal – Human Rights Monitoring, Equality and Human Rights Commission (Great Britain), Human Rights Tracker
- Karin Friedrich, Human Rights Officer, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, National Recommendations Tracking Database (NRTD)
- Friedhelm Weinberg, Executive Director, HURIDOCS, UWAZI
ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS CONVERSATIONS
Human Rights Conversations are a series of events, hosted by the Geneva Human Rights Platform, aimed at discussing contemporary issues and challenges related to the promotion and protection of human rights in Geneva and beyond.